Through 2018, the first series of If I Had My Time Again ebooks and podcasts spoke with 26 leading Australian and New Zealand Principals.
Created by #RealReach, we wanted to understand the real journeys that these business owners experienced before they were big … and what they would do differently if they knew then, what they know now.
Co-Founder John Knight took the time to review each of the conversation, and extract:
5 Key Takeaway Lessons
- Everyone in a business is a business – Think like one
- Your systems are your machine – Transaction are your Widgets
- Focus on what you are great at – Others can do the things you are not
- Provide for the rainy days and understand the risk – Income is inconsistent
- Willingness to share – Across all areas of your business, your peers are prepared to help
7 Biggest Principal Challenges
- “Make sure you know where you want to go and #why you’re doing it.” – John Cunningham
- “#leadership is a transition to go from being that person always in lights to someone where you’re putting yourself second for the benefit of your team.” – Paul Curtain
- “Understanding what individuals are going through, and developing a #businessmodel to enable them to improve. I think that’s what I look for in a leader.” – Martin Millard
- “I think if you’re doing it for the #money, you’re probably going to be better off being a salesperson .” – Ash Marton
- “It’s a #familybusiness – We had our kids up there in the office after school gluing photos onto brochures.”– John Cunningham
- “Setting up a real estate business from the outside looking in might look like an easy thing to do, but it’s actually not. You need a strong #workethic” – Ewan Morton
- “I made so many mistakes, and the fundamental mistake that I made was I thought I needed to know the answers to everything so I didn’t seek the right #support sooner.” – Megan Jaffe
Based on a series of presentations #RealReach ran with the Real Estate Institute of Queensland, you can also click here to download these lessons and challenges in printable slides.